Interesting Facts About Bollywood
Interesting facts, Bollywood is full of glamor, gossip, paparazzi and well-kept secrets. Our stars and their films are always in the spotlight. Do you know? Indian cinema has completed 100 years in its year 2013. If you think that you know a lot about Bollywood, here is a list that will surely force you to update your information again! This list of some of the most unknown Bollywood facts will shake your mind!
1. Do you know? The first motion picture in India was ‘The Wrestlers’, in 1899, a painter photographer called Harishchandra Sakharam Bhattavadekar.
2. Aamir Khan’s movie ‘Lagaan‘ was never played in so many British actors in a single movie in the history of Bollywood cinema.
3. You will be surprised to know that when Dharmendra first joined the film industry, his salary was only a modest sum of Rs 51.
4. Do you know? Before becoming an actor in 1936, Ashok Kumar was a lab assistant at Bombay Talkies.
5. Waheeda Rehman has played the role of both Amitabh Bachchan’s mother and boyfriend. She played the role of girlfriend in the film ‘Adalat’ (1976) and mother of the movie ‘Trishul’ (1978).
6. Shahrukh Khan was the first choice for Anil Kapoor in Slumdog Millionaire.
7. Raj Thackeray wanted to make a film with Amitabh Bachchan in 2005.
8. Do you know? Initially Sunil Dutt was RJ for Radio Ceylon and wanted to interview with his favorite actress Nargis. But he could not say a single word in front of him and had to cancel the interview. Years later, when he finally got an opportunity to work with him in the movie ‘Mother India’ (1957), he fell in love and got married.
Read also: Bollywood’s top 5 celebrities who have eaten gel wind, who are they – you too know!
9. Anil Kapoor is now one of the most successful actors in the Bollywood industry and is recognized globally for his show, 24 and Slumdog Millionaire. But do you know, when this actor first came to Mumbai, he was living in Raj Kapoor’s garage. Later the actors moved to a room in one of Mumbai’s suburbs.
10. Sunil Dutt Suve was more than a hero, he was a big Bollywood villain! The actor played the role of a robber in 20 films in his career.
11. In the movie ‘Heroine’, Kareena Kapoor was dressed in more than 130 different clothes by top fashion designers around the world. It has been reported that Kareena’s closet for the film was the most expensive of all the Bollywood films ever made!
12. Yaadein is 113 minutes of 1964 film and Sunil Dutt is the only actor in this. It is shown in Guinness Book of World Records in the category of lowest actors in a narrative film.
13. Do you know? ‘Mughal-e-Azam’ (1960) was a trilingual film – all its scenes were shot three times in Hindi, Tamil and English.
14. Saif Ali Khan was the original choice for Shahrukh Khan’s role in the film ‘Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge’. In fact, it is difficult to believe that Tom Cruise was also considered for the role of Raj Malhotra!
15. Hrithik Roshan was the first actor to play Mohan in the film Swades. But after rejecting them, Shahrukh lifted it and made it a symbol.
16. Raj Kapoor was superstitious and had also avoided eating non-vegetarian food before the release of the film ‘Satyam Shivan Sundaram’ (1978).
17. Raj Kapoor’s film ‘My Name Joker’ was the first Hindi movie to have two intervals, not one!
18. You will be surprised to know that Sridevi was only at the age of 13 when he played Rajnikant’s stepmother in a Tamil film named “Mundru Mudichu”.
19. Lata Mangeshkar’s song ‘A Malik Tere Bande Hum’ was released in the movie ‘Two Eyesen Barah Hath’ (1957), which was originally written by Vasant Desai, was accepted as a school song by a Pakistani school.
20. Do you know? Actor Amjad Khan was almost removed from the film ‘Sholay’ (1975) because screenwriter Javed Akhtar found his voice very weak for the role of Gabbar Singh. Initially, Danny Denzongpa was approached for that role, but in the end, this blunt character was finally found by Amjad Khan.
21. Dilip Kumar and Shahrukh Khan have won the highest number of Filmfare Awards for Best Actor in a Leading Role, which is 8.
22. Mohammad Rafi, who preferred to watch boxing, requested the organizers to go to Chicago to join Muhammad Ali.
23. Ela Arun and Alka Yagnik shared the Best Female Playback Award for the song ‘Behind the Choli’ in the film ‘Khalnayak’. It was the only time when two playback singers were sharing an award in the history of Bollywood awards.
24. Dabang 2 was the first sequel for Salman Khan in his 23-year career!
25. Jitendra’s debut film ‘Navrang’ (1959), where he played double role( Sandhya )
26. Devika Rani was the first actress with a degree in film production.
27. LOC Kargil and my name Joker are the two longest Bollywood movies of the time with 4 hours and 25 minutes running time.
28. Salman Khan likes to collect soap. In their own bathroom, there is a collection of all types of handmade and herbal soaps. Their soaps are made of natural fruit and vegetable extracts.
29. Do you know? Ranvir Singh, the original name, Ranvir Singh Bhavnani is actually the cousin of Sonam Kapoor!
30. Indians buy 2.7 billion film tickets annually, which is the highest in the world. But our average ticket price is the lowest in the world, so revenue is different than Hollywood!